Saturday, February 5, 2011

Saturday Night Confessions

I have a confession to make.  Not long after I moved, my mother sent me a quilt pattern that looked pretty simple to make.  I was bored & had no friends & no job & no calling, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I went through all my fabric that I trucked 'cross country and excitedly began cutting.  Then I began sewing.  It helped pass the time.  I had even thought that I'd donate it to be auctioned off at the Kokanie (sp?) festival that happens in Idaho City.  (We had attended the festival not long after arriving here & I thought I could do my part for the environment by donating something to add to their fundraiser auction.)

So, I used up all my scraps.  I scrounged the clearance bins for cheap fabrics.

I got a job.  I got a calling.  I started volunteering at my kids' schools.

I didn't really have money to buy fabric so I searched for donations.  I got some.  They weren't really what I would have purchased so the quilt I had envisioned isn't what I had envisioned.

Now I'm too busy & when I do have to time to work on the quilt I slowly begin to realize that I'm not really liking it.  I'd much rather work on Primary stuff, family newsletter stuff, paper crafting, or I'm just too pooped to do anything when I do have free time.

I thought I could love it.  My mother does.  She's quilted for years.  Lots of other ladies I know quilt.  Their quilts are beutiful.  I'm just lucky to thread the machine the correct way and not sew over my finger.  Sigh.  I really wanted to be a quilter.  But I don't really like it.  Sorry mom!



7 comments:

  1. You do paper crafting??? For years now, some of my friends have coaxed me and tried their best to teach me how to make cards. I like the idea of card-making (they tell me how inexpensive it is compared to buying cards and that appeals to me! ) But when I sit down next to them to try--nothing happens!! Unless they tell me what to cut out and where each piece should then be placed- I'm blank!! Don't like to do it, don't want to do it! Wish I did- but no artistic ability in that direction! And actually, I think that's what makes our lives more interesting! We all can do different things, otherwise no one would really be thrilled and amazed at receiving or seeing someone else's talent at work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's the pic of the completed ugly quilt?!! I am sure it is gorgeous! You make everything beautiful! I am impressed you did it- sewing is so not my thing- I get inspired when I see others doing wonderful things with fabric- you go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get it. For the record, I think your "quilting with paper" is beautiful and it's a wonderful talent to have. I wish I could get into scrap-booking but I don't have the patience or eye for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't actually finished it yet. That's part of the problem. I don't want to work on it anymore because I don't have any of the really cute fabric that I'd prefer to have. Sage has been helping me. She pushes down on the peddle & I guide the fabric. (Yeah, that's not a fast process, but she's having fun, so....)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I find it so liberating when I can make those 'confessions'. I realized, after scrapbooking for 5 years, that I don't like it. I would rather quilt. Now I don't have to feel guilty when I look at all my pictures that I haven't scrapbooked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quilting with paper-I love it. I've always wanted to become one but I haven't made any baby steps...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you are well ahead of me because I can't even thread the darn machine- so I never even try! :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts