Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Back From Medical Leave

I have a persistant problem with my neck that just won't leave me alone.  I had surgery several years ago to "fix" it.  Unbeknownst to me, 25% of surgical patients will have to have more treatment usually within 10 years.  Bingo!  I won.

Luckily, an injection of massive steroids, etc. is supposed to help my neck heal itself and stave off another surgery.  (The next surgery will decrease my mobility by 50%.)  Hopefullly, I won't need to have injections more than once a year (give or take)!

I have had to deal with some discouragement on this issue because I thought I was invincible.  Coming to terms with the possible limitations that may befall me has not been easy.  Putting into words my feelings is something I have not yet been capable of doing.

That being said, I should stop whining.  I know folks who have spent their entire lives in wheelchairs, had multiple surgeries, have never known a pain free day.  Folks who have suffered tragedies beyond my comprehension.  I will stop being a cry baby, suck it up, and drive on!

I am grateful that this experience is teaching me patience, greater compassion, and other things I haven't quite figured out yet.  How wonderful for modern medicine and some really awesome folks I've come to meet in the medical field who are trying to improve my quality of life.  (So glad to be alive now & not in the dark ages!!!!)

Ok.  No more pitty party.  Back to postal positives!!!  Thanks for listening!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thoughts and prayers are with you. I remember how hard it was for you the first time and I'm so sorry to hear you are going though it again. Just remember the desert dwellers are thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to talk to you and catch up!! I didn't realize you had so much on your plate this week with ELda coming- you need to rest!!
    I will call you soon- I send you love and hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts