Saturday, October 23, 2010

Life In Idaho

There are two strange new things here in Idaho.  (New to me.)



Burn Days:
There are designated days at the end of summer that folks are granted permission to burn things.  I'm assuming that it has to do in part with the threat of fires that only certain days are marked for burning.  What they are burning:  all the left over stuff from the farming season. Not sure why they don't just plow it under.  So, it smells here in Idaho.  And the sky is all hazy.  I'm not liking burn days.  Neither do my eyes, nose, or throat.


Trick-or-Treating on Halloween.


I'd never actually thought about it before because in Ohio we also took the kiddies out the Thursday before.  Then all the adults could do their partying on the 31st.  Normally it wouldn't be a problem.   But here in Idaho they go begging on the actually holiday.   And this year, Halloween is on Sunday.  Keeping the Sabbath day holy is the major debate.  It even made the news.  Hmmmm.  I guess I'm glad that we have a Ward Halloween Party & tri-ward trunk-or-treat.

3 comments:

  1. Wow- that would be a huge debate in our house too! Why would they do that on a Sunday?! That is awful! Ours is Thursday and I am good with that. Sorry about the burn days- smells awful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! After all these years, I can't imagine actually trick or treating on Oct. 31st!!! Had to explain the system to a new family in our ward who moved here from AZ. Also tried to explain when we celebrate Independance Day in July to them here in Columbus! They thought I was joking!!! Seriously- they were sure I was joking!!! Explained the 3 dominant religions in central Ohio- Friday night HS football, Saturday OSU football and Sunday church services. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was my first thought-in a mormon community, how many people actually go on a Sunday? I have to say I'm glad we didn't have to worry about it being on a Sunday but I really wish it were closer to the 31!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts