Thursday, October 14, 2010

Star Elementary: 4th Grade Thursdays



Problem Solving

This month I am teaching my son's 4th grade class about problem solving.

First we solved a mystery:  There is a a small room, with an open window, a small table, broken glass & water on the floor & two dead bodies.  Can you guess what happened?

Next, we learned about how to solve problems with a human flowchart:
     Identify the problem
     Generate Solutions
     Evaluate Solutions
     Is the problem solved?  Yes - then you are finished
                                            No - go back & generate more solutions

We used our new found knowledge to solve a couple of scenarios.

As usual, I read a story that went with our theme.  Today it was:




Then, because they were so quiet during the story, we got to play a game of "Beat the Rabbit."  (It's a racing game, not a violent one.)

After we were done & the recess bell rang, I got the sweetest note.  The teacher is using a program with the kids about filling other people's buckets.  Last week, the kids were noisy & the teacher asked them if they were filling my bucket or emptying it by being noisy.  (Emptying, of course.)  So I used that today because they were getting all wound up during the flowchart exercise.  Hence the message from the note.



Makes it all worthwhile!

1 comment:

  1. You're so good- what a fun way to teach stuff to 4th graders! I love your method and that note is awesome! Can I be in your class?

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts